Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thanksgiving in Florida

This being my first Thanksgiving ever away from my immediate family, I am thankful to Grandma and Grandpa Welling for inviting me to spend the day with them. I spent the hour drive to their place remembering all the Thanksgivings spent in Arizona, of baking SOOOOO many pies the night before, making the infamous Green Bean Casserole, and wondering if there was going to be anything that was forgotten, once the meal was over.
My Uncle Mark had flown out from Kansas City to spend Thanksgiving in the wonderful sunshine of Florida. It was actually a chilly 60 something degrees here, but Mark was basking in the warmth compared to where he had come from. Lunch was fabulous as to be expected, and then we went for a ride on the boat to enjoy the afternoon. No alligators were spotted, because, as I mentioned, it was chilly that day.
I left there and drove back to Orlando to have dinner with some friends that I have made. I was told dinner was going to be served at five, so I busted my butt to make it there on time, and lo and behold, they hadn't even started the turkey yet. Mind you, they were going to deep fry it, which doesn't take nearly as long as baking, but I was fully expecting to walk into the table set for food, and basically sit down and eat.
This being the inaugural attempt at deep frying the turkey, there was a lack of peanut oil........so being men, they figure they can just add vegetable oil..... They find all the vegetable oil in the house, and it still isn't enough. So they head to the nearest store that is open on thanksgiving, and buy some more vegetable oil.... Pictures and video tell the story...

Jesse and I attempting to make sure the turkey is clean and dry.


Jeff, Scott, and Jesse ( from left to right), assembly the fryer.






While we are waiting for the turkey to cook, Denise and I decide that we are going to snag a piece of pumpkin pie, without letting anyone else see. Unfortunately for us, Denise is a picture freak as well, and documented it...but it was still fun.

Finally the turkey was ready and we were ready to eat.



You can always pick out Jesse's plate because if it has any form of potatoes involved, there is always ketchup to accompany it.

Jeff and Shanna


Scott and Denise

And the room mates, me and Jesse.
It was really great to be able to spend Thanksgiving with family and friends. I miss being with my parents and brothers and sister and their respective families, but this is my Florida family and they made me feel completely at home.

4 comments:

Adam and Emily said...

Looks quite yummy! I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

Krisha said...

A comment about Jesse's plate.....one look at his plate and I was like, "is that ketchup???"

Joshua is the same way! Looks like you had a great time an a memorable Thanksgiving with friends.

Davis said...

Wow, Trina, your hair is getting very long! You look good. I am sure your family missed you out here.

Marianne said...

Trina!!! I just found this blog....you look good and your Thanksgiving sounded nice. ARe you in Florida? I'm in Kansas....good to see/read about you!