Sunday, October 5, 2008

New Life in Florida

I have been in Florida for seven months now, crazy, it seems like I have been here forever. It's funny, cause people ask me if I miss home, and I say no, because Florida is my home now. And it feels like home...for now. But I know that this is not my last stop. I don't know what my next stop will be, but somehow I feel that I won't stay here. But I tell them I miss my family desperately... but I can't dwell on it, or I would never get anything done. But the reason for this blog is to tell you a little bit more about my life here in the last seven months. Not just activities, but thoughts and ideas that have come about from living here.
I have made a very diverse group of friends at work, and with that, brings new ideas and ways of thinking. I am not sure if many of you know exactly why I moved, but part of it was to get out of my comfort zone and meet new people... So it seems that I moved to the right place.
With every new person I meet that has different beliefs than I have, it makes me wonder if mine are right. Growing up in Arizona, most everyone I knew, had the same core beliefs I did, not just religious beliefs, but also politically. Florida is not quite the same. It is considered a swing state, which can go Democrat or Republican. So, when I hear views that are more liberal than my own, I try to be open minded and listen to their side. I take time to think about it, question it, analyze it, and make a decision. Usually I end up right back at square one, believing what I started with. It amazes me that your core beliefs are exactly that; the core of you. The essence of what makes you who you are. Questioning it has only made me stronger in what I believe.

Some times, it sways me a little, but I usually end up right back where I started. I have learned that every encounter you have with people around you, effects you, positively or negatively. But you decide how it is going to effect you. When I first moved here, I was incredibly home sick and questioned my move almost daily. But, family and friends helped me understand the changes and realize that I control how I let things make me feel. So every encounter I have, I try to make it a positive influence in my life and learn from it. I guess you could say I am maturing. haha. Anyhow, I just wanted to tell you all thank you for your help and support.

4 comments:

Blueyedmle said...

Im glad to hear it. I must admit I have worried about you a lot lately. I know we had a long talk a while back. I just want you to know that I care and hope you are happy. I know I searched a long time for happy in all the wrong places and am only still digging myself out of the messes I got into. Just be wise in your discoveries. Some have consequences you would never think of.

Davis said...

I am excited for you and this experience. After HS I wanted to move away and meet new people and I never did it. I am a little jealous that you just jumped at the chance. I am proud of you...have fun in whatever you do. Enjoy life! I love what you said about "core beliefs" - I truly agree!

Stina said...

hi trina! wow! i really like that post...it was quite insightful!

words of wisdom, they are :)

i just wanted to let you know i have been thinking of ya! i'm glad things are going so well fer ya!

christina (root) pettit

ReyAn Salisbury said...

Hey cousin, I've just started getting interested in politics too and it is fun learning about them because you do totally start to learn and solidify your own beliefs in the process. At 27 years old I'm finally starting to feel all grown up. How 'bout you? =0)